News

Firefighters put out electrical room fire at former Tenneco building


Article content

Fire caused extensive damage to electrical equipment in the main electrical room of the former Tenneco factory building Wednesday night but no one was hurt.

Article content

The former Tenneco building, at 1800 17th Street East in Owen Sound, is partially occupied by the green hydrogen research and development firm, Hydrogen Optimized.

Thursday morning a Hydrogen Optimized statement said the incident and cause of the fire were “unrelated to the operations and activities of Hydrogen Optimized.”

Fire crews responded to a report of a working fire in the main electrical room of the building at 8:13 p.m. Wednesday, a city fire department news release said.

There was heavy smoke in the electrical room and moderate smoke filled the building when firefighters arrived.

Hydro One attended the site and isolated the electrical service before fire crews entered the electrical room and extinguished the fire. The fire was contained to the electrical room, the news release said.

The fire caused extensive damage to the building’s electrical equipment, the release said. Firefighters ventilated the building.

In addition to hydro workers and 11 firefighters, Grey County paramedics and Owen Sound police also assisted.

There were no injuries to occupants of the building or firefighters. An estimate of damage wasn’t immediately available.

The Hydrogen Optimized statement said the “event occurred after working hours. No Hydrogen Optimized staff were present at the time of the incident.” It noted the company occupies the west end of the 300,000 square-foot building, “a substantial distance from the location of the incident.”

The company statement said the incident occurred at the far east end of the building.

“We are evaluating any possible impact to the company’s operations”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

close